12 Fun Facts About Your Sofa That You Might’ve Missed
February 27, 2015
A sofa is a part of almost everyone’s homes because it is both the most comfortable and the most welcoming part of the house. This fluffy furniture does not only cater to the owners’ comfort and needs, but also to the guests. But you already know that. Instead, here some cute and fun facts about the living room’s main attraction -the sofa, or sofa bed for others.
- The word sofa originated from the Arabic word suffah, meaning bench. The word itself also dates back to 2000 BC Egypt.
- There are 17 known types of sofa, and all of them are made for comfort.
- Sofa owners sit on their sofas for an average of 4 hours each day.
- Sofas are very sturdy things. An average sofa can withstand your children’s jumping up and down for 587 times.
- An average sofa can host up to 782 visitors over its lifespan. Imagine how many bums that an average sofa can tolerate!
- Sofas can also be witnesses of their owners’ love with each other. Couples who own a sofa will use it to kiss each other 12 times a month, and cuddle for up to 14 times a month. That’s a total of 1,174 kisses and 1,369 cuddles over a sofa’s lifetime.
- A sofa is not only a witness to its owners’ love; it is also a witness to their disputes or arguments. An average sofa is a witness 293 arguments over is lifetime.
- It’s funny how a sofa can also be your piggy bank: owners find money inside the sofa three times a month, mostly coins and rarely bills.
- It does not only hide money. In a month, an average child will also lose approximately 4 toys and 3 socks and other random items of clothing at the back of the sofa.
- Some of us may hate to admit it, but we also use sofas as beds. Sofas are used 489 times as a bed, 293 of those times was a result of domestic dispute.
- A family dinner can also happen on a sofa. It seats families and residents for 13 TV dinners per month, and homeowners would watch 1,271 soap operas and 782 films together while snuggling up on a sofa.
- Sofas are witnesses and survivors to a lot of spillages. An average sofa has wine spilt on it every two weeks and tea or coffee three times a week. When families decide to watch soap operas or movies while eating dinner on their sofas, children accidentally drop their food and drinks on the sofa thrice every 2 weeks or 72 times a year. Funnily, even the parents will spill some of their dinner on the sofa 6 times a month. That’s a total of 1,663 spillages over the sofa’s lifetime! Unfortunately, 87 percent of the whole sofa owner community wouldn’t consider getting their sofas cleaned.
Amazing isn’t it? Now that you know all these things, the simple act of sitting on your sofa just got a lot more cooler.