February 28, 2011
Why do most people eat late at night? Maybe it’s because you have to work late for your deadlines in school or office. It may also be because you want to indulge in mouth-watering snacks, or because you simply get hungry in the middle of sleep. Whatever the reason is, it’s important to be reminded that you load unwanted calories unto your body when you indulge in midnight snacks and this might affect your diet or weight loss plan. Nonetheless, we at Uratex Blog understand the call of the taste buds and grumbling tummies in the middle of the night – so we’ve suggested several food and drinks that you can indulge in:
1. Water: You may try this with a squeeze of lemon or lime since both contain detoxifying properties. It’s advisable to drink a glass or two before you go looking for food because thirst is often similar to the feeling of hunger.
2. Hot beverage: It may keep you awake when you drink it, but if your purpose is also to stay awake without being hungry, hot tea will be best for you.
3. Milk: Has low calories and fat as well as calcium and vitamin D that can boost your bones’ health. And not to mention that it can help you get back to sleep more easily.
4. Low fat yogurt: Protein-enriched and also contains other nutrients that are essential to our bodies.
5. Veggies: What? Yes, veggies. They may seem like the least appetizing midnight snack but they’re good for our health since they’re chock full of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, which heal and nourish our bodies overnight. Veggies are also full of water and so will make you feel less dehydrated when you wake up. What’s more, they’re low in calories and fat so you may overindulge yourself if you wish!
6. Fresh fruits: Will provide you with a rich supply of vitamins and minerals.
7. Nuts: Rich in antioxidants, they are great nourishment for you during night time. They’re also full of fiber so you won’t feel hungry for several hours. Unsalted almonds can make you feel relaxed since they are rich in magnesium and Vitamin B.
8. Popcorn: Munch away on this yummy snack whenever you’re craving for something flavourful during the night, just make sure to get the ones that are low in fat so you won’t wake up with a stomach ache or feel bloated.
It’s recommended that we consume well-balanced meals throughout the day, rather than binging at dinner or afterward, but we can’t deny craving for a light snack while late at night. And although you may lean towards junk foods or other unhealthy foods since they are tastier – these healthy or “respectable” midnight snacks will energize your body as it is fuelled with sufficient calories and will also help stabilize your blood sugar levels, so you’ll wake up from bed refreshed and guilt-free!